Even when it’s possible that a previous settlement already existed, the history that we can prove about the castle of Valderrobres, began at the end of the twelfth century. At that age, the war between the Christian kingdoms and the Moors reached this area and a small defensive tower was built to protect the frontier, marked by the river Matarraña.

When the war ended in the area, King Alfonso II donated these lands to the bishopric of Zaragoza, but the bishop wasn’t interested in the area and this was subinfeudated to Fortun Robert, a former canon of the cathedral of Zaragoza.

Fortun`s daughter Sancha was married to a member of the Oteyza family and this family ruled the area until the fourteen century, when the last of his members died without heirs. At that point, the crown and the bishopric fought to get these lands again, and finally, the bishop paid a little fortune to the king to be once again the ruler of this area.
The bishops decided to rebuild the ancient defensive structure and transform it into a residential palace.

Pedro lope de Luna was the bishop who began the transformation. Between 1314 and 1348, he built the ground floor of the castle around the original fortress. He began the construction of the gothic church too. Then, in 1390 García Fernandez de Heredia reformed the ground floor and built the first floor and at least, a part of the third one. Today we can see his coat of arms above the main door of the castle, and in the first two floors.

But Bishop Fernandez de Heredia was assassinated in 1411, and his succesors finished the job.  Between 1431 and 1456, Dalmau de Mur and Cervellon finished the third floor. He ended the tower bell and the gothic church too.

In 1539 Don Hernando de Aragon undertook additional contributions and details. The Last archbishop who inhabited the castle was Don Juan Cebrian in 1656.
Then, the castle was abandoned and in the nineteen century became a property of the state; which meant that no one took care of it. For about two centuries, people could go to the castle and take everything they needed, from wood from the ceilings, to stones from the walls.
The castle was restored in the eighties between 1982 and 1983, and today it's a place for cultural events, tourists, musical concert, exhibitions, and much more.



The first room we come to is the hall, a square reception room with a large central diaphragm arch that served as the entranceway to the castle for the nobility.
In the left wall, there is a doorway leading to the Stables, which is a rectangular room with a barrel-vaulted ceiling and three splayed windows. This area of the castle now hosts art or anthropological exhibitions.

At the back of the room, in the centre of the wall, there is a door with a semicircular arch that leads to the stablemen’s room also displaying a barrel-vaulted ceiling. This is the room where today we can see the introduction to the visit.

Returning to the hall, the first section of the stairway leads to the chapter hall, supported by two diaphragm arches with wooden beams, and around which there is a stone bench apparently built to hold chapter meetings in monastic style, although perhaps this was mainly used as a waiting room.
The stairways takes us to the first floor; This is the area of the castle reserved for the nobility, so the architecture reflects ostentation and a search for comfort.

The first door to the left, gives access to the hall of the fireplaces, where we can admire three mullion windows and two twin windows decorated with gothic tracery. We can see the coat of arms of Don Garcia Fernandez de Heredia presiding over the hall.

To the back left of this hall there is a door that connects this assembly hall to what must have been the archbishop’s ready room. There is another fireplace for heating and two large twinned windows. Passing through to the back of the chambers, there is a doorway set in a basket-handled arch, which lead us to the non-restored room.

Now we re-trace our steps to return to the columnated landing where we can take the second door to the left to access the kitchen. As you come in, to the left side, there are two hatches where dishes were passed into the large hall next door. In the centre of the room there is a large fireplace capped with a spectacular octagonal dome topped with a lantern allowing smoke to escape.
A stone stairway leads to the second floor, which has the same surface area as the lower one. This is where the tip of the peak can be seen, around which the entire architectural project was built up, ad it is also the point from where one can best inspect the remains of the ancient defensive tower built here before the palace.

The higher chambers are accessed by ascending a metal staircase. This area corresponds to the servant’s quarters and granary. The gallery on the southern side is set on four pointed gothic arches, with five large semicircular windows forming an open gallery. The grooves visible in the wall allowed for wooden partitions to be placed dividing the hall into three rooms used as granaries and sometimes as bedchambers for the servants.


The western gallery is very similar to the first one but it’s a little bit larger.
Retracing our steps to the second floor, we can descend the stone staircase under the metal stairs. This was the access route for the servants and today leads to the non- restored wing of the castle, where we can find a small dungeon, the access to an underground passage to the river, known as the well of the hairy hand and finally the Wine cellar where there are three cubicles that were used to store barrels of wine.





Other services Follow us

C/ La Paz nº 7

44580 Valderrobres (Teruel)



Castillo de Valderrobres on


Guided visits phone: 679 63 44 38

Comercial phone: 681 65 40 58

Management phone: 656 59 99 80


  Valderrobres Map Castillo de Valderrobres on Ttwitter

Contact and information E-mail : castillodevalderrobres@yahoo.es


Management E-mail : valdepatrimonial@yahoo.es

  Restaurants, lodgings and tourism services

Follow us on Instagram

Castillo de Valderrobres

      Valderrobres other monuments